New Home Design
Your new home design should be about more than just bedrooms and bathrooms. It’s about what opportunities your new home will create for you in the future. Will a large living area give you the space to entertain friends and family like you always wanted to?
It helps to think more in terms of what you want something to do as opposed to what something is. For example, an ensuite is a place to shower, but it can be a sanctuary where you soak in a freestanding bath; unwinding after a long day at work. An island bench is a work space in the kitchen, but it can be a place where family gather together to discuss the day while dinner is cooking.
As a custom home builder, every design is created specifically to suit our clients unique list of needs and wants. However, this means that you need to think beyond the basics of how many bedrooms and bathrooms you want. Below are some suggestions of things you may need to consider when talking to your builder.
- Where would you like the home located on the block? Were you wanting to have side/rear access?
- Do you want a single or double storey?
- What is the overall look/feel that you would like your home to have? How does this match in with existing homes and/or environment in the area?
- What areas of the home are most important to you? Do you love to cook and want a gourmet chef’s kitchen? Do you need a study area where you can work from home? Would a home theatre increase the appeal of your investment property?
- Are there any covenants from the land developer that need to be taken into account? Are there any zoning or bushfire requirements?
These are some of the things that need to be discussed up front so that the designer can begin preparing concept plans. Once the concept plans have been developed, you can start getting into the nitty gritty of the design such as:
- Do you have a four-wheel drive and need a garage with extra clearance?
- Are you an outdoor entertainer that would like an alfresco kitchen/bbq area?
- How much storage space you require?
- Do you need extra power, tv and/or data points? Would you like feature lighting in some areas?
- Are you after a low maintenance yard for your investment property? Would you consider extending the paved areas?
As you can see, there are many things that you will need to discuss with your builder to make sure your new home achieves what you want it to. At times, just knowing where to start can be a bit overwhelming. Having an in-house designer and a team with extensive professional and personal building experience means that we can hep guide you through this conversation.